Monday 6 October 2014

Edinburgh, the beauty of north



The weather in Edinburgh is never stable-very annoying. It rains. A lot. 



To my surprise Edinburgh is really big. I wish I had more time to explore hidden parts of the town and to soak up the atmosphere for a bit longer. My mission before the next trip to Edinburgh is to make friends there who will be able to show me all the hidden gems and cool coffee shops, (and of stay at their house for free obviously) so hey feel free to comment!


Recommendations
I would definitely recommend to explore Leith, the district by the sea, full of local coffee shops, pubs and happy families. We had breakfast at Mimi's House and it was so goooooood! My mum had this massive french toast with bacon and maple syrup. Also they do delicious cakes. For the coffee around that area I would recommend Print Work's coffee. Me and my folks have visited Royal Yacht Britannia which I can highly recommend, the price of the tour is definitely worth it. 

If you're planning to stick round the centre of Edinburgh, make sure you'll go near universities for the best coffee around. They are mostly using roasteries from London (Has Bean or Monmouth coffee) but they know how to make a good coffee. I went to the Black Medicine, really cool design inside-reminds you more of a pub than a coffee shop and really tasty smoothies. Just across the street is a Brew Lab, which is like the coolest coffee place I've ever seen. It basically looks like ruins of an old house with the newest design tables and cool lights. Just around the corner from George street is a little coffee shop called Wellington Street if you want to avoid Starbucks opposite.

FOOOOD
Oh how I loved portions in Scotland! Nothing to compare with these tiny overpriced little plates of something we are getting around Dalston/Shoreditch. The salmon is on every menu and the fillet is huge. For the stake lovers go to The Stake, they will show you and describe everything you don't know about all these sirloins, rumps or rib eyes! Also when in Edinburgh you have to try one of their fish chowders, it's a milk soup with pieces of fish, mostly cod and salmon I reckon. 

So, go to Edinburgh. Eat a lot of fish and meat. Drink a lot of coffee. Explore. And when it rains go to museum, they are for free! 










No comments:

Post a Comment